Is Grammarly Premium Worth It? How much does Grammarly Premium cost? Read our grammar review to learn about features, pros and cons, and more.
What is Grammatical?
Grammatically is an online typing assistant that suggests corrections to many aspects of your writing, such as spelling, grammar, and punctuation in Gmail, Facebook, Google Docs, LinkedIn, text messages, and many more services and applications.
I’ve been using Grammarly for years to get my writing as clean as possible before sending content to my editors. According to the service, including my non-fiction and fiction writing, I generate over five million words a year, so I’m very comfortable with Grammar.
How does grammar work?
Grammarly works in two simple and reliable ways: the in-line checker or New Document.
- In-line controller: When you create a document, such as with Google Docs, you will find a small icon in the lower right corner of the window. Click on that icon and you will see the results of the real-time check.
- New document: From your web browser’s toolbar, you can click the Grammarly icon to create a new document within Grammarly that is monitored in real time.
I usually choose the in-line checker (Image A) because I produce most of my first drafts in Google Docs and I’d rather not work with yet another third-party service.
Grammarly offers free and paid plans. Businesses should choose the Premium plan as it offers a few extra features that are quite beneficial. Let’s take a look at what makes Grammarly Premium a necessity for many businesses and professionals.
The pros of Grammarly Premium
- Over 400 types of checks and features, such as tone, word choice, subject-verb agreement, sentence structure, plagiarism and quotes.
- Real-time grammar correction.
- It’s remarkably accurate.
- Easy to understand explanations for corrections.
- Customizations such as preferred language, the ability to disable certain sites, and personal dictionaries.
- Seamless usability.
- Makes document editing quick and easy.
- Well-designed user interface.
The Cons of Grammarly Premium
- It doesn’t work well with tools like the WordPress editor.
- An aggressive and constant pressure to upgrade your account.
- It doesn’t teach the writer’s voice.
- Not every correction is accurate.
How much does Grammarly Premium cost?
Grammarly Premium costs $12.00 per month, but you can try it for free for seven days. The free trial requires you to enter a valid credit card number, but you can easily cancel anytime before the trial ends and your card will not be charged.
To take advantage of the Team features, you must upgrade to Grammarly’s Business plan, which costs $15.00/member/month. The Team features include a branding guide, snippets, brand tones and an analytics dashboard.
Grammar Premium Features
- Grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Consistency in spelling and punctuation.
- Fluency controls.
- Complete sentence rewritten.
- Formatting controls.
- Word choice and word and sentence variation.
- Tone detection and suggestions.
- inclusive language.
- Automatic citations and formatting.
- plagiarism detection.
- Enterprise-level privacy and security.
- Grammar Insights gives you weekly detailed information on how you are performing and how many words were checked.
- The web browser extension allows you to quickly configure Grammarly and create a new document (Figure B).
Alternatives to Grammarly Premium
I consider Grammarly the best tool on the market for keeping your writing concise, accurate, and fluid. However, if you want to see how Grammarly compares to its competitors, here are the main alternatives.
- Readable offers grammar, style, and reliability checks, as well as a keyword density tool, which makes it especially good for those who rely on SEO.
- WordTune focuses mainly on rewriting full sentences rather than proofreading.
- Ginger offers many of the same features as Grammarly, plus a handy reformulation tool; however, the free browser extension has a character limit of 600 words.
Is Grammarly Premium Worth It?
The answer to or Grammatical premium worth it depends on your needs. If you’re a person who just wants to clean up your writing, the Grammarly Free plan will probably suffice. If you’re a professional writer or a business that needs to keep content error-free, clean, and consistent, Grammarly Premium is an absolute must. The $12.00/month fee for Grammarly Premium is a pittance given the benefits you get from the service.
My job would be considerably more challenging if I had to rely solely on built-in spell and grammar checkers – I’ve seen Grammar catch exponentially more problems than any built-in checker. In addition, in my experience, Grammarly’s checkers are significantly more accurate than any other on the market. Anyone serious about generating the cleanest, most professional content possible should consider Grammarly Premium a no-brainer.